Saturday, November 14, 2009

How to ensure that a new iris hybrid will bloom again next year?

I (for the first time) hybridized two irises a number of years ago. As a result, one new iris appeared in 2002, a gorgeous maroon red. But it did not come back in other years. This year I have another new one which has hybridized naturally (I suppose) from that red one + the regular purple type. It is very deep burgundy-black. What do I do to get it to come back next year?

How to ensure that a new iris hybrid will bloom again next year?
As of a matter of fact your Irises are rhyzomes first.





They spread and create the little nodules you see when you dig them up. Irises are call Bi-ennials which means ever other year. The flower that blooms this summer will not bloom next year, the other ones will bloom. That is how they grow and survive their species and spread. I always enjoy new surprises and anticipate the show of beauty they create for me. Many gardening books out there FYI.

Human Teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment