Sunday, April 26, 2009

Drying out Iris's?

I am getting ready to move and I wanted to dry out or press Iris's( when you put it in a book? I guess that is how you do it..) so I can take them with me and hopefully frame them someday. They are BUEATIFUL Dutch Iris's and they have 2 closed buds and 2 open blooms on one stem. ANY ideas or suggestions would be wonderful. I dont want to hurt or smash the buds. Any suggestions on leafs also. I just want to take a little of home with me across the US.

Drying out Iris's?
As for pressing the irises, I pressed many other types of flowers ( at the local school a pressed flower collection is required of students- so i helped as mom) and if you are careful, as irises have fleshy, moist and delicate petals- sandwich the flower between 2 -4 clean sheets of printer paper- then put some absorbent like paper towels as next layers of bread for iris "sandwich " on either side, and some newspaper too to absorb the moisture. put sandwich between 2 books- but not too much weight yet until some moisture comes out and softens bloom. change paper towels, loosen from printer paper if sticking- like next day- slide over or slip new paper under it to keep from making a mess. change towels, add more weight as it flattens. should come out great,





as for moving and missing your irises, why not take some rhizomes with you to your new place? you can even grow them in a pot on a terrace if you don't have a yard. I moved about 15 boxes of bearded iris cross country, i dug them, air dried, banged off dirt and packed in newspaper in boxes. did not plant for 2 months, they didn't bloom that year, but have thrived ever since! worth a try! good luck.
Reply:Flowers dried in desiccants retain the best color and shape. Silica desiccants are the most popular, and can be purchased at hobby and craft stores. Follow the package directions for best results.


No comments:

Post a Comment