Saturday, May 15, 2010

Eye mass on edge of iris?

I have a very small white mass on the edge of my iris/white of my eye for almost 3 years and was told it was caused by an episode of high blood pressure/hypertension (only 37 at time) that it occured. Doc. said no big deal. Blood pressure has been under control (now at 40) but lately at night or while stressed my eye gets red w/vessels going directly to that mass only. What is it, scar tissue? Will it ever harm my vision? It doesn't bother me that bad cosmetically either but when someone is close it's obvious.

Eye mass on edge of iris?
The movement across your eye is a worry they are drusens and could be the precursors to a detached retina. I advise you to see an ophthalmologist immediately.
Reply:Was the doctor who told you "no big deal" an ophthalmologist? If not, then I'd sure like to hear it from the doctor who specializes in that area. An Ophthalmologist is an MD who specializes in eye care and diseases of the eye, some of which can cause blindness.





I think drusen are seen inside the eye, as on the retina or optic nerve, and can be an early sign of macular degeneration which is a major cause of blindness.


A pterygium is a yellowish growth on the eye ball made up of cholesterol but would not be associated with blood vessels to my knowledge.


Your eyes are pretty valuable. Don't depend on this method to feel safe. Ocuvite (eye vitamins) are well worth the effort, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment