Saturday, May 15, 2010

How can I plant my iris bulb??

I have a dried iris bulb, and I don't know how to plant it...





Do I put it in moist soil? How often should I water it? How many inches below the soil should I plant it? also, how long will it take for the flower to bloom?





Any info would be appreciated

How can I plant my iris bulb??
the iris rhizome needs to be planted so the top surface of each bulb is exposed to air and sunlight. I usually make a depression in the soil and fashion a little mound in the center. I set the iris bulb on the mound, spread out the roots and use my hands or a small trowel to pull soil up around the sides of each bulb, leaving the surface so I can see it.





To divide iris bulbs, cut them apart, leaving some little "eyes" (those nubs like) on each section you want to plant. Also, leave some root hairs intact with each divided section.





Plant the bulbs about 18 inches apart and you should not have to divide them for years, same goes for daffodils. Feed them a 10-10-10 lightly after they finish blooming and let the foliage yellow and die to help develop flower buds for next year.
Reply:Plant them about 6" down. Water about once a week unless it rains a lot in your area.





Irises are perennials that bloom once a year (normally) in late spring. How long they take to bloom depends on where you live and where you plant it (in sun, shade, etc.)


No comments:

Post a Comment